News Portal Development and Managed WordPress Hosting
Our specialized service for news portals
Content Management System (CMS) for News Portals
A news portal is a web-based platform that allows news editors to upload and publish various types of news stories, for visitors to browse and read news online.
A content management system (CMS) is a web application software, that is used to create, manage and publish content on a website. Content editors log in to the CMS, add content and upload media files, and publish it to the website for online viewing.
CMS is the core software of a news portal system. An organization could develop a custom CMS exclusively for the company, or go with customizing a readily available open-source CMS such as WordPress.
Why Not Custom Develop a CMS?
Some organizations may prefer to develop a custom CMS tailored for their requirements. To develop and maintain such a custom-made CMS, the organization will have need a lot of human resources, time, and effort. Hiring developers with impeccable technical knowledge is the key success factor of the project, which is very costly.
Even after the initial software development, the CMS software needs to be enhanced continuously to support new requirements. The software should also be kept up-to-date with the latest security updates and technological advancements. It should also be updated regularly to comply with online policies and social media changes and to support various ad placements options. So, there is a recurring cost for maintaining the IT team, irrespective of whether the team has enough work or not. Regular software updates require a bigger investment in hardware resources as well.
Moreover, the capability of the in-house team will be only as good as the aggregate experience of the whole IT team. When an experienced developer leaves the organization, it will affect the team’s capability in managing the software.
Why WordPress for News Portal CMS?
WordPress is the most popular CMS in the world. It is open-source software, continuously updated and maintained by hundreds of techno-enthusiasts. WordPress has a market share of 40% of all websites, and 64% market share of CMS-based websites, as of 2021.
WordPress is highly flexible and customizable, by using themes, plugins, and custom programming to match the requirements of any content-related project such as a news portal. It can handle various media types and allows the embedding of social media links.
With a powerful CMS platform like WordPress, news editors can easily log in to the dashboard and use its simplified interface to create stories. An editor can type the desired title, subtitle, excerpt and content to create a story. Moreover, the editor can add photos and other media to the content, embed social media links, assign the story to a news section, and publish it online. The editor dashboard is mobile-friendly too.
The workflow of news editors can be managed by giving them proper access permissions. The stories can be published immediately or scheduled for automatically publishing later.
Moreover, most of the journalists are familiar with WordPress as they get trained in WordPress CMS from their journalism schools.
With advanced caching, security firewalls, and content delivery network (CDN), WordPress is fast, secure, and scalable.
The following famous websites and news portals are powered by WordPress:
Issues Faced by News Portals
Many of the news portals in India do not generate enough revenue due to various reasons. They need to cut the cost and generate more ad revenue. The following are some of the common issues they have to tackle.
- Are you spending too much on news portal hosting and the IT team?
- Does your site go down frequently when traffic increases?
- Is your site often attacked by spammers/hackers?
- Are the web pages loading very slow?
- Is your site not generating the maximum possible revenue even though there is good enough traffic to the site?
- Are your news pages not user-friendly on mobile devices?
- Are the news stories not appearing in various search engines and Google News?
Highly Secure, Fully Managed WordPress Platform
We offer WordPress platform as a service to news portals. We take care of all the web-based technology needs of the news portal including managing the web servers, security, CMS, traffic, and all that technology support editors need to run the news portal smoothly. We offer social media consultancy as well.
Our array of servers are powered by the latest high clock speed CPUs, high-speed DDR4 ECC RAM, fastest enterprise solid-state devices (SSD), and high bandwidth ports connecting to the internet backbone.
Features of Managed WordPress Platform
- Custom design as per your requirement
- Mobile-first design: pages tailored for mobile view
- Dynamic design: add/update homepage sections or news sidebar anytime
- Editable templates for categories and tags
- Special news pages for events/topics
- Various advt placement options
- Display related news links under the story based on keywords or news category
- Google web fonts for all languages
- Comment system using Facebook, Vuukle, or Disqus
- Easy to use news edit window
- Options to add title and subtitle for news
- Photostory and photo gallery
- Sticky video posts and video playlists
- Embed social media content (such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc) inside the stories
- Upload and embed PDF files for viewing
- Link or embed old own stories within new stories
- Upload unlimited news stories and add media (jpg, png, mp3, mp4, etc) files
- Add byline (editor name or guest editor name) to stories
- Add/update editors and give permissions
- Restrict editor access to selected categories
- Setup editorial workflow
- Allow contributors to add stories directly, for editorial review
- Content delivery network (CDN)
- Advanced multi-layered caching at various levels
- HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 protocols
- HTTP/2 Prioritization
- Premium image optimization (jpg compression, WebP)
- Lazy loading of images
- Brotli compression
- Fast page loading
- Handles spike/viral traffic efficiently
- Failover server for handling unexpected events
- Social media profile integration (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Sharechat, Koo, Telegram, WhatsApp, etc.)
- Social media sharing option on story pages
- Support for page verification on Facebook, Twitter, and Sharechat
- Facebook business manager support – News page registration, domain verification, monetization, etc
- Guidance for YouTube channel management
- Guidance for other social media platforms such as Instagram, Koo, Sharechat, etc.
Search Engine Optimization
- Technical side of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and guidance to the editorial team
- Option for separate title and image for news portal, Facebook, and Twitter
- Sitemap submission to Google and Bing
- Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) support with real URL
- JSON LD Schema
- Google News support
- Facebook Instant Article support
- Support for DailyHunt, JioNews, and other similar content aggregators
Security & Firewalls
- SSL certificate
- Regular security audit
- DNS level firewall
- IP blocking & whitelisting
- Bot management
- Web application firewall
- Datacenter network firewall
- Server level firewall
- WordPress firewall
- Brute force management
- Unauthorized login lockdown
- 7G firewall
- DDoS protection
Analytics & Reports
- Google analytics implementation and frequent analysis
- Daily report on the total number of stories written by editors
- Weekly performance reports
- Monthly performance reports: Total number of stories written and total pageviews generated, per editor
- Comscore tags
- Google AdSense support
- Google Ad Manager support – System for Geo-location based advertisements
- Connect with AdTech companies and implement ads of various formats
- Insert ads between paragraphs in the content
- Placement for direct ad banners
Migration from Other CMS
- We help you to migrate your WordPress news portal from another server. We also help with migrating your news portal from a custom CMS to our WordPress platform.
- Automated server performance monitoring
- Daily platform monitoring and software upgrade
- Daily full backup to the cloud, retrievable up to 6 months
- Audit trail of user login and edit activities, for two months
- We are available 24/7/365 on phone for critical technical support of the platform